8. Flattening the Product TableFlattening of the table refers to linking the tables attached to the ends of the schema. In data terminology it means changing the snow flake to star schema because star schema is the most referred data model by industry experts. Modeling. Flattening of Product table is important due to two reasons. Firstly, it helps to organizes the data model and secondly, hierarchy can be created in the same table of the data model. For a step by step guide on this: https://powerbitraining.com.au/data-model-common-issues-and-solution-8-power-bi-training-in-sydney-power-bi-training-in-melbourne/
9. Creating Product HierarchyPower BI allows you to create Product Hierarchy for columns present in the same table. For a step by step guide on this: https://powerbitraining.com.au/data-model-common-issues-and-solution-9-power-bi-training-in-sydney-power-bi-training-in-melbourne/https://powerbitraining.com.au/data-model-common-issues-and-solution-10-power-bi-training-in-sydney-power-bi-training-in-melbourne/1. Click on Modeling Tab in the Ribbon. 2. Click on New Table. 3. Type the following DAX expression in the Formula Bar.
A clone for the Date table is created.
4 Rename the Month Column to Shipping Month.
5. Rename the Year Column to Shipping Year.
6. Rename the Name of Month Column to Name of Shipping Month.
7. Click on Model Tab in the Left
8. Click on the inactive realtionship between Ship Date and Date. Click Delete.
9. Click on Ship Date in the Sales table and drag the cursor to Ship Date Table.
10. Click on the line showing active relationship between the Ship Date in the Sales Table and the Shipping Date table.
11. Set the cardinality to one-to-many and the cross filter to single.
12. Click on Shipping Date under the Properties Pan. Type Filter by Ship Date in the Description.
Filter by Shipping Date appears in the tool tip of the Shipping Date Table.
A perfect star schema consists of a central fact table surrounded by multiple dimension tables. These tables should ideally have only one relationship with the fact table but this does not happen practically due to the existence of role playing dimensions. An example of role playing dimension is the date which can occur in the Sales table as Order date or shipping date, etc. In this blog post, the concept of role playing dimensions is covered.
Learning Power BI from Scratch? Get a complete, in-depth introduction to Microsoft Power BI tool by attending our Power BI Basic Training Course.
More Checkouts for Power BI Training in Australia.