What is DAX Studio:
- Power BI Desktop
- Power Pivot for Excel
- Tabular Servers
- Visual Studio
Useful Features of DAX Studio:
- Optimize your model performance with the VertiPaq Analyzer integrated with DAX Studio.
- Visualize the result of DAX formulas that contain ‘tables’ including ‘table expressions’. You can’t see the result of such measures while working it in Power BI Desktop, whereas in DAX studio you can explore what are the results being produced.
- Authoring DAX measures
- A support for learning DAX language.
- Query Building.
An important thing to note is that query run in DAX Studio ALWAYS returns a table, unlike a measure created in Power BI, which returns a scalar value.
Downloading and Installing DAX Studio
Operating system requirements
Following are the operating system requirements for running DAX Studio.
- Windows 10 (Recommended)/Windows 8 / Windows 8.1/Windows 7)
- 32 bit or 64-bit operating system
- Operating system supports the .Net Framework 4.7.1 or later.
Requires Admin rights
Available for all users on the current machine
Excel Add-in available
Power BI External Tools integration
To install DAX Studio:
- Open https://daxstudio.org/
- Click on DAX Studio (Installer)
- Run exe
A pop-up menu appears.
- Click on Install for all users (Recommended).
5. Click on Allow access. Please note to review the agreement.
6. Select “I accept the agreement”
7. Click Ok.
- 8. Select Destination location.
- 9. Click Next.
10. Select Excel Add on.
11. Click Next.
12. Click on Next.
13. Select “Create a desktop shortcut”.
14. Click Next.
15. Click Finish.
Power BI Advanced DAX Scenarios with DAX Studio
Here’s a list of some business problems which are easier to solve using DAX studio then a regular DAX environment:
- Analysing top ‘N’ products and customers by sales revenue
- To get the top three products by each subcategory by sales revenue
- To find high value sales by product or customers by month
For s step by step guide on solving these problems: Advanced Scenarios with DAX Studio | Power BI Advanced DAX Scenarios with DAX Studio | Power BI Training Australia
DAX Studio is considered as the ultimate tool for analyzing DAX queries. DAX Studio will scan the local machine for any running instances of Power BI Desktop or SSDT Integrated Workspaces. This makes it easy to write and analyze queries in DAX studio. This blog post enlists the procedure to download an install DAX studio for running queries in Power BI desktop.
Learning Power BI from Scratch? Get a complete, in-depth training on Microsoft Power BI by attending our training courses.